Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Get Yourself Into a Pickle!

One of my favorite things about living in Morocco was the family of sheep and goats that lived under my rooftop quarters. They were noisy as hell and didn't smell great, but there was nothing more satisfying than taking out my food scraps and seeing them happily devour them, without a crumb wasted. That plus the fact that there were no plastic bottles, cans, or packaging meant that my total waste from eating was essentially nil.


These days, I often end up with a situation like the one pictured here. I made a lasagna and salad for dinner, but I didn't need a whole cucumber, zucchini, or carrot to make the meal. So I had these halves left over. I usually try to put them in the refrigerator with the hope that I'll eat them in the next few days but that rarely happens, and I usually end up throwing out rotting, soggy halves of vegetables I really meant to eat but never got around to.

That was, until I found out how to make pickles!

Pickling is easy and fun. You don't need any special equipment, but if you have a chance, pick up a cheap pickling jar like the one shown in the photo above. It's a glass bowl with a heavy glass top that adds pressure to the pickles as they sit in the brine. But more on that later. For this batch of used veggies I decided to make two kinds of pickles. The first batch will be regular vinegar style and so I'll cut the pieces small, along with some very thin strips of ginger for flavor.



This type of pickle brine usually calls for:
1/2 cup vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
2/3 teaspoon salt
ginger cut into small strips

But here's my secret if you don't want to bother with all that. Sushi rice vinegar! It has just about the same proportions of sugar and salt as the recipe and it's all already mixed. It works great but you might want to cut it with a little water if you don't like too sour a taste.

Put the cut vegetables in a bowl and, with your hands, rub them with about a tablespoon of salt.

This is part of the magic of making pickles. Getting the water out of the vegetable and replacing it with the yummy stuff.

After rubbing in the salt for about a minute, leave the bowl for 15 minutes... and...





... you'll see that the salt pushes the water out from the veggies. Separate the water and vegetables and it's on to the last step.







Gently squeeze the vegetables with your hands, kind of bruising them so that the vinegar will be able to get into all the nooks and crannies. Then place them in your bowl or pickling jar.





For the best effect you'll need a heavy lid that presses down on the pickles. The weight of the lid will draw even more water out from the vegetables as water is lighter than the vinegar. As I said before a 12 dollar (1300 yen) pickling jar is great, but if you don't have one I'll show you how you can make your own in the following recipe.







Now with the vegetables under a bit of pressure all you need to do is wait at least 24 hours. If you want the pickles to be eaten much later you should cut the veggies into bigger pieces. If you want to eat the next day, keep the size small and thin.

This recipe will give you a really typical "pickle" taste.





This time I decided to make another batch with a spicy chinese flavor.

3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
(or as before just use sushi vinegar for the last three ingredients)
1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 small red pepper or red pepper flakes
ginger cut into small strips






Prepare the water, oil, and vinegar mixture.






Just as before you want to bruise the veggies a little by lightly hitting them with the flat side of a knife or something like that.

Mix the vegetables into the vinegar mixture and be sure to coat all the surface area on them.





If you don't have the special pickle jar you can just use two bowls that fit inside each other like this. To get the weight you need for the proper pressure, you can fill the top bowl with water or, like I did here, just put an onion or whatever heavy thing you have laying around in your fridge inside the top bowl.






So here are my two pickles. Regular on the left, and spicy Chinese style on the right. I'll put these in the refrigerator overnight and they should be pretty tasty tomorrow!








The next day, here are the regular style pickles. They really shrunk overnight and are packed with flavor now!









And here are the spicy pickles. Yummy!






Add a bowl of rice and I've made a meal out of what yesterday I was thinking about throwing out because it would probably end up rotting in my refrigerator. It's no substitute for a goat, but making pickles is a simple, tasty way to reduce your waste! Enjoy!

Patrick

Yoga Garden

13 comments:

Mutsumi said...

yammy!!! I want to make other style pickles. with other type vinegar and cloves. How do you think? Let's make vinegar work shop!!

cinderbutte said...

Thank you for taking the time to describe the pickling process in such a simple, clear and engaging manner. You have a talent for explaining things, and your esthetic is both functional and artful. Well done!

Anonymous said...

I was gonna ask where you got that pickling jar, but then I realized that you are in Japan, not here in New York.

I would suggest you investigate using Koji (rice bran) for pickling, not vinegar. It is much healthier!

eat well - - -

treehousejukebox said...

Woohoo! I have my first pickles in the works right now thanks to this post.

uiyui said...

I would gold für wow cultivate courage.buy wow gold “Nothing is so mild wow gold cheap and gentle as courage, nothing so cruel and pitiless as cowardice,” syas a wise author. We too often borrow trouble, and anticipate that may never appear.”wow gold kaufen The fear of ill exceeds the ill we fear.” Dangers will arise in any career, but presence of mind will often conquer the worst of them. Be prepared for any fate, and there is no harm to be freared. If I were a boy again, I would look on the cheerful side. life is very much like a mirror:sell wow gold if you smile upon it,maple mesos I smiles back upon you; but if you frown and look doubtful on it,cheap maplestory mesos you will get a similar look in return. Inner sunshine warms not only the heart of the owner,world of warcraft power leveling but of all that come in contact with it. “ who shuts love out ,in turn shall be shut out from love.” If I were a boy again, I would school myself to say no more often.billig wow gold I might cheap mesos write pages maple meso on the importance of learning very early in life to gain that point where a young boy can stand erect, and decline doing an unworthy act because it is unworthy.wow powerleveling If I were a boy again, I would demand of myself more courtesy towards my companions and friends,wow leveling and indeed towards strangers as well.Maple Story Account The smallest courtesies along the rough roads of life are wow powerleveln like the little birds that sing to us all winter long, and make that season of ice and snow more endurable. Finally,maple story powerleveling instead of trying hard to be happy,archlord online gold as if that were the sole purpose of life, I would , if I were a boy again, I would still try harder to make others happy.

Anonymous said...

At one time or another, I do not have the rf gold ; at the first time, I am not willing to buy rf online gold . But I do not wonder I buy the rf money , my friend thinks that I am ill. But when I have it, it carries the magic from such a group, such a link in the world, rf cp , it is the key bring you to this world. But cheap rf gold is the best desire that I make.

Without thinking I buy some runescape gold . I use some rs gold and want to find a good group. We often buy runescape money together on Monday. As if it is a rule. I think it is the real friendship. buy runescape is already become the essential thing in my life. So I will introduce my friends have the cheap rs gold , we can be consist of a group, it must be very interesting.

Anonymous said...

Do you know Asda Story gold? I like it.
My brother often goes to the internet bar to buy Asda Story money and play it.
After school, He likes playing games using these buy Asda Story Gold with his friend.
I do not like to play it. Because I think that it not only costs much money but also spend much time. One day, he give me manycheap Asda Story gold and play the game with me.

Do you know Archlord gold? I like it.
My brother often goes to the internet bar to buy Archlord money and play it.
After school, He likes playing games using these archlord online Gold with his friend.
I do not like to play it. Because I think that it not only costs much money but also spend much time. One day, he give me many cheap Archlord gold and play the game with me.
I came to the bar following him and found buy Archlord gold was so cheap. After that, I also go to play game with him.

Anonymous said...

What do you know aoc gold. And do you want to know? You can get conan gold here. And welcome to view our website, here you can play games, and you will get age of conan gold to play game. I know cheap aoc gold, and it is very interesting. Do you want a try, come and view our website, and you will learn how to aoc money. Come and join with us. We are waiting for your coming.
What do you know FFXI Gil. And do you want to know? You can FFXI gold here. And welcome to our website, here you can play games, and you will get Final Fantasy XI gold to play game. I know buy FFXI Gil, and it is very interesting. I like playing online games. Do you want a try, come and view our website, and you will learn much about cheap Final Fantasy XI Gold. Come and join with us. We are waiting for your coming.

Anonymous said...

It is the Perfect World Gold which make me very happy these days, my brother says Buy Perfect World Gold is his favorite games gold he likes, he usually buy some Perfect World Silver to start his game and most of the time he will win the Perfect World money back and give me some cheap Perfect World Gold to play the game. I think the pw gold can bring me a lot of fun.
I always heard something from my neighbor that he sometimes goes to the internet bar to play the game which will use him some Pirates of the Burning Sea Gold, he usually can win a lot of potbs gold, then he let his friends all have some potbs Doubloon, his friends thank him very much for introducing them the potbs money, they usually buy potbs Doubloon together.

Anonymous said...

Do you know seal cegel? I like it.
My brother often go to the internet bar to buy sealonline cegel and play it.
After school, He likes playing games using these seal online cegel with his friends.
I do not like to play it. Because I think that it not only costs much money but also spend much time. One day, he give me many cheap seal cegeland play the game with me.
I came to the bar following him and found buy seal online cegelwas so cheap. After that, I also go to play game with him.
It is a very nice game silkroad gold, I like sro gold. You can play it silkroad online gold, you can buy the cheap silk road gold. You smart and buy cheap silkroad gold.

Anonymous said...

Have you heared about a game which you need use Entropiauniverse ped to play, and you can also borrow Entropia Universe Gold from other players? But you can Buy Entropia Universe Gold, or you will lose the choice if you do not have Entropia Universe Money. If you get cheap Entropiauniverse ped, you can continue this game.
Have you heared about a game which you need use kal geons to play, and you can also borrow kal gold from other players? But you can buy kal online geons, or you will lose the choice if you do not have kal online gold. If you get kalonline Geons, you can continue this game.

Anonymous said...

My friends and I like to buy habbo credits, because the habbo gold is very useful to upgrade equipment. Only your equipment becomes better, then you can win this game. In habbo coins, you can buy everything you want in this game. Tomorrow will be my birthday, so my friends promise to buy habbo gold as gifts. I am so happy. They understand me so well, cheap habbo credits is my favorite.
I like hero gold very much because it is very useful. In fact at first sight I have fallen in love with hero online gold. So no matter how much I have spent to buy hero gold, I never regret. Because of hero online money, I meet a lot of friends. So I never hesitate to buy hero money.

jindi said...

Ayurveda is a holistic healing science which comprises of two words, Ayu and Veda. Ayu means life and Veda means knowledge or science. So the literal meaning of the word Ayurveda is the science of life. Ayurveda is a science dealing not only with treatment of some diseases but is a complete way of life. Read More
"Ayurveda treats not just the ailment but the whole person and emphasizes prevention of disease to avoid the need for cure."
Ayurvedic Medicine has become an increasingly accepted alternative medical treatment in America during the last two decades.
Benefits of Ayurvedic Medicines
* By using ayurvedic and herbal medicines you ensure physical and mental health without side effects. The natural ingredients of herbs help bring “arogya” to human body and mind. ("Arogya" means free from diseases). The chemicals used in preparing allopathy medicines have impact on mind as well. One should have allopathy medicine only when it is very necessary.
* According to the original texts, the goal of Ayurveda is prevention as well as promotion of the body’s own capacity for maintenance and balance.
* Ayurvedic treatment is non-invasive and non-toxic, so it can be used safely as an alternative therapy or alongside conventional therapies.
* Ayurvedic physicians claim that their methods can also help stress-related, metabolic, and chronic conditions.
* Ayurveda has been used to treat acne, allergies, asthma, anxiety, arthritis, chronic fatigue syndrome, colds, colitis, constipation, depression, diabetes, flu, heart disease, hypertension, immune problems, inflammation, insomnia, nervous disorders, obesity, skin problems, and ulcers.


Ayurvedic Terms Explained

Dosha: In Ayurvedic philosophy, the five elements combine in pairs to form three dynamic forces or interactions called doshas. It is also known as the governing principles as every living things in nature is characterized by the dosha.

Ayurvedic Facial: Purportedly, a "therapeutic skin care experience" that involves the use of "dosha-specific" products and a facial massage focusing on "marma points."

Ayurvedic Nutrition (Ayurvedic Diet): Nutritional phase of Ayurveda. It involves eating according to (a) one's "body type" and (b) the "season." The alleged activity of the doshas--three "bodily humors," "dynamic forces," or "spirits that possess"--determines one's "body type." In Ayurveda, "body types" number seven, eight, or ten, and "seasons" traditionally number six. Each two-month season corresponds to a dosha; for example, the two seasons that correspond to the dosha named "Pitta" (see "Raktamoksha") constitute the period of mid-March through mid-July. But some proponents enumerate three seasons: summer (when pitta predominates), autumn, and winter (the season of kapha); or Vata season (fall and winter), Kapha season (spring), and Pitta season (summer). According to Ayurvedic theory, one should lessen one's intake of foods that increase ("aggravate") the ascendant dosha.

AYURVEDA